Academic conference 21–23 August 2019 in Munich (arrival 20/8, departure 24/8).
The talks will be in English.
Venue: Schloß Fürstenried, Munich.
This conference is a part of the project The Openness of the Universe for Free Will and Special Divine Action, funded by the John Templeton Foundation.
The topic of the conference
While at our conference 2017 (see the proceedings) we investigated claims that miracles or human free actions are impossible or incompatible with the laws of nature, this conference will investigate the nature of human free actions and of divine actions. In which respects would free human actions be similar to divine interventions, and how would they be dissimilar? In which sense does human freedom have degrees, and in which sense would God be perfectly free? Is the existence of free human actions (of some kind) incompatible with atheism? What would constitute reasons for believing in free will of a certain kind? What would constitute reasons for believing in a divine intervention? What is the prior probability of a divine intervention? Is the existence of probabilistic laws of nature/processes necessary for free will or necessary for divine interventions? What possible kinds of divine action are there? What kinds of possible free human actions are there?
The Speakers and the titles of their talks
- Timothy McGrew – ’The Formal Epistemology of Testimony: Beyond Hume and Earman’
- Timothy O’Connor – ‘How Do We Know That We Are Free?’
- Thomas Pink – ‘Reason – Human and Divine: the Jesuits on Motivation’
- Richard Swinburne – ‘Phenomenological Evidence of Libertarian Free Will’
- Alin Cucu – ’Does Energy Conservation Preclude Dualistic Agent Causality?’
- Barbara Drossel – ‘How the Laws of Physics Leave Room for God’s Action’
- Benedikt Göcke – ‘The Many Problems of Special Divine Action’ (cancelled)
- Johannes Grössl – ’Timeless Reaction – How an Eternal God Reacts to Free Decisions of His Creatures’
- Christoph Halbig – ‘Reasons & God’s Discretion’
- Lydia Jaeger – ‘Human Liberty Between Scientific Determinism and Liberty of Creation’
- Peter Jedlička – ‘Neurodeterminism and Free Will’
- Uwe Meixner – ‘Miracles With and Without Free Will – Free Will Without and With Miracles’
- Dietmar von der Pfordten (TBC) – ‘Freedon as partial, inherent non-necessity’
- Daniel von Wachter – ‘Agents Can Initiate Causal Processes’
- Sven Walter – ‘Free Will and Science: Why Do the Folk Think Free Will is an Illusion?’
Abstracts of the talks
Timetable of the conference
Registration is required at Mr. Nolte (rnolte AT iap.li). Places are limited. If you register and then cannot come, please inform us without delay.
The conference fee is 60 € (25 € for students). After your registration is confirmed, please kindly transmit the conference fee to the following account before the conference:
Account holder: Int. Academy for Philosophy
IBAN: LI52 0881 0000 4186 5008 0
Reference: Conference fee Munich 2019
For students and doctoral students there are some scholarships of 300 € available; if you are traveling from abroad, you may apply for 400 €.
In order to apply, please write to rnolte AT iap.li and send us your CV with photo and a brief letter describing why you want to attend. Apply now, at the latest 31 July 2019.
Accomodation and Meals
We recommend to book a room at Schloss Fürstenried. Please book your room directly with the castle, email: Reservierung.Fuerstenried (at) eomuc.de. Please add that you will participate in the conference, otherwise the rooms will be more expensive.
Cost for rooms per night:
- Single room: 47,00 € per person
- Double room: 42,00 € per person
- Multi-bed room (3-4 people): 25,00 € per person
- Surcharge if you stay only one night: 10,00 € per person
Cost for meals (please reserve these meals by email when booking your room, by writing to Reservierung.Fuerstenried (at) eomuc.de):
- Breakfast: 10,00 € per person.
- Lunch: 15,00 € per person.
- Dinner: 15,00 € per person.
You may pay for the accomodation and the meals in the Schloss Fürstenried at the reception, either on the day of departure or earlier.
During the three days of the conference (21 – 23 August) we plan to eat dinner at a local restaurant “Einkehr zur Schwaige“, Forst-Kasten-Allee 113, which is located 250 m away from the Schloss Fürstenried. We hope you can join us. Therefore, we advise not to book the dinner in the Schloss Fürstenried.
Daily plan (Wed. 21 August – Fri. 23 August)
Breakfast: 8:00 – 8:45 a.m. (in the dining hall)
Lecture 1: 09:00 – 10.15 a.m.
Coffee break 1: 10.15 – 10.45 a.m.
Lecture 2: 10.45 a.m. – 12.00 p.m.
Lunch break 12.00 – 2.00 p.m. (lunch from 12:10 – 1 p.m. in the dining hall)
Lecture 3: 2.00 – 3.15 p.m.
Coffee break 2: 3.15 – 3.45 p.m.
Lecture 4: 3.45 – 5.00 p.m.
Coffee break 3: 5.00 – 5.30 p.m.
Lecture 5: 5.30 – 6.45 p.m.
7.00 p.m. departure for dinner.
In the three breaks, coffee, tea, water, and some fruits will be available (for free).
Timetable with the speeches: please see here.
How to get to the venue
FROM THE AIRPORT MUNICH:
- At the airport at the entrance to the S-Bahn, buy, at a machine or at the counter, a single ticket for 4 zones for 11.60 €. (Information)
- From the airport Munich, take the S-Bahn 8 (towards Herrsching) (or S 1), leave at Marienplatz (38 minutes, 12 stops).
- From Marienplatz, please take the Underground U3 (towards Fürstenried West), leave at Fürstenried West (17 minutes, 12 stops).
- From U-Bahn station Fürstenried West, it is about 1.4 km (18 minutes walking) to Schloss Fürstenried, Forst-Kasten-Allee 103, 81475 München. Taxis are available at the exist of the U-Bahn station Fürstenried West.
FROM THE MAIN STATION (Hauptbahnhof):
- At the main station, buy, at a machine or at the counter, a single ticket for 1 zone for 2.90 €. (Information)
- From the main station (Hauptbahnhof), please take the underground U7 (towards “Neuperlach Zentrum”), leave at Sendlinger Tor (1 minute, next stop).
- From Sendlinger Tor, take the Underground U3 (direction Fürstenried West) until Fürstenried West (16 minutes, 11 stops).
- From U-Bahn station Fürstenried West, it is about 1.4 km (17 minutes walking) to Schloss Fürstenried, Forst-Kasten-Allee 103, 81475 München. Taxis are available at the exit of U-Bahn station Fürstenried West.
IF YOU TRAVEL BY CAR:
Please enter in your navigation system: Forst-Kasten-Allee 103, 81475 Munich. There are sufficient parking spaces available at Schloss Fürstenried. The main gate is usually closed, please use the door bell at the right side of the main gate.
DINNER AT THE DAY OF ARRIVAL:
Dinner on the 20th August in the Schloss Fürstenried was cancelled. We ask the participants to look for dinner at a restaurant in Munich. Apologies for the inconvenience.
The reception of Schloss Fürstenried is generally open between 7:30 a.m. – 8.00 p.m.
If you arrive on the 20 August between 8 and 10 p.m., please use the door bell at the left side of the gate.
If you already know that you will arrive past 10 p.m. on 20 August, please send an email to Reservierung.Fuerstenried (at) eomuc.de in advance, in order to receive an entry code. You may then enter that code at the display at the right side of the front gate; a locker will open automatically with your room key. With that room key, you can open the main gate, the door into Schloss Fürstenried, and your room.
On the day of arrival (Tue. 20 August), the rooms are available as of 1:00 p.m. (probably earlier, if there is no conference before the 20th).
At the last day (Sat. 24 August), checkout time is 09:00 a.m. Please leave your rooms by then.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
We wish you a good trip to Munich and we look forward to meeting you at the conference.